(Redirected from Avian Influenza)
Three weeks after obtaining a new pet parrot, a 40-year old female develops fever, chills, and a severe headache. The parrot is healthy. Her doctor orders a chest X-Ray and there are extensive pulmonary infiltrates
What form of infection is likely?
- Chlamydia Psittaci
How would you confirm the diagnosis?
- Laborary confirmation from respiratory secretions
- Antibody test on sputum
- the case is epidemiologically linked to a confirmed case of psittacosis
What treatment would you recommend?
- Macrolide antibiotics are an alternative
What public health measures would you recommend?
- Inform public health authorities
- They will conduct epidemiological investigations
- Assist in controlling transmission among humans and birds
- Who named it? Origins of "Chlamydia"
- Health Canada on Avian Flu
- Random page on Parrot Fever